Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Tue May 26, 2009
Attorney explains smoking ban challenge
By Renny MacKay
Jackson, Wy – One of the attorneys helping to challenge the smoking ban in Teton County says the board of health exceeded its authority in passing the measure. Steve Freudenthal, the governor's brother, represents the Virginian Saloon and several business associations in their suit against the board of health. He argues that the board of health is supposed to deal only with contagious and communicable diseases.
"Smoking in and of itself and second hand smoke are not diseases. There may be consequences from those, but that becomes a question of social engineering rather than control of disease."
A member of the board of health, Doctor Brent Blue, introduced the smoke free resolution. He says the board of health is charged to protect the health of the public, whether it is protecting them from rotten food or toxic air.