Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
- Hill Announces Intention To Resume Superintendent Duties
Wed September 9, 2009
Cheney dedication to be protested
Laramie, Wy – Former Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife, Lynne, are expected to be in Laramie for the upcoming dedication of the new Cheney International Center at the University of Wyoming.Protesters plan to be there, too. Several hundred people say they plan to protest the University of Wyoming's acceptance of money from such a controversial figure.
The center for international students and Wyoming students
studying abroad is funded in part with $3.2 million the Cheneys
donated to the university. A dedication ceremony is planned
The decision to name the center for the Cheneys prompted a
petition that drew more than 150 signatures. The petition said Bush
administration policies were "very controversial" and the name
will affect how people perceive the center.
University President Tom Buchanan defends the naming decision.
He says "tolerance and diversity cut many ways" and the new
center will benefit students.