Most Active Stories
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- New lead in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Past Time, Fly Fishing
- Wyoming Stories: Murray Self Tells Three Centennial Classics
- Wyoming-Based Environmental Group Disbands
Wed March 10, 2004
Cowgirls Win First Conference Tournament Game Ever
Denver, CO – Ashley Elliott hit six 3-pointers and had 29 points to lead Wyoming over Colorado State 67-61 in the Mountain West Conference tournament today, the Cowgirls' first win ever in a conference tournament.
Kristen Lenhardt added 18 points in fifth-seeded Wyoming's first win after 14 straight conference tournament losses - four straight in the Mountain West.
The Cowgirls (11-17) will face top-seeded New Mexico in the semifinals Friday, thanks mostly to Elliott's hot shooting early and late.
Elliott hit four 3-pointers in the first 10 minutes to put Wyoming up by as much as 14, but the Cowgirls had trouble with Colorado State's pressure defense in the closing minutes to see the lead drop to five by halftime.
Fourth-seeded Colorado State (17-11) opened the second half with a 16-3 run, hounding the Cowgirls into three turnovers and eight misses in nine shots to take a 41-34 lead.
Wyoming went on a 7-0 run to tie it, but Colorado State answered with an 8-0 run to go up 51-43.
Then Elliott took over.
She hit a 3-pointer with a hand in her face to cut the lead to 51-48, then tied it with another from the corner on a secondary break.