Most Active Stories
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- New lead in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Past Time, Fly Fishing
- Wyoming Stories: Murray Self Tells Three Centennial Classics
- Wyoming-Based Environmental Group Disbands
Fri August 19, 2005
Dept. of Corrections Now Recruiting for Torrington
By Kristin Espeland
Laramie, WY – The Wyoming Department of Corrections has begun recruiting for its new Torrington facility. The department plans to open that prison in late 2007....and staff it with 357 new workers. Whether or not the department brings that number of new workers on board depends on state legislature approval of their request .as well as enough interest in the positions among Goshen county residents.
But the department faces one more challenge: a labor pool without much experience in the corrections business. To address that challenge, corrections department recruiter Brenda Reedy says they're actively recruiting people now to work in the state's other facilities in order to gain experience before the new prison opens. Reedy acknowledges that interesting potential workers in a temporary relocation has been slow-going, but also that being ready for inmates - with experienced staff - when the prison opens is critical.