Most Active Stories
- Pollutants detected in water wells in Sublette County’s gas fields
- New Northern Arapaho Business Council resolves to fix tribe’s poor financial management
- The Wind River Casino is doing well, but some tribal members expect more
- Wyoming may have missed the Uranium boom
- Wyoming Judicial Branch says there’s nothing left to cut.
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Wed September 28, 2011
Did You Hear About Andy Rooney? He's Retiring
What is it about Andy Rooney that's kept him on the air with CBS for more than 60 years — the last 33 of them as a regular essayist on 60 Minutes?
Is it his sense of humor?
His distinctive voice?
Those bushy eyebrows?
The questions he's always asking?
Well, it's all coming to an end. According to CBS, Rooney's last regular appearance on 60 Minutes will come on this Sunday's show. The network adds that Rooney:
"Will make the announcement in his regular essay at the end of the program, his 1097th original essay for 60 Minutes. It will be preceded by a segment in which Rooney looks back on his career in an interview with Morley Safer."
NPR's David Folkenflik notes that as a Stars and Stripes correspondent, Rooney flew with bombers over Germany during World War II. But over the years, David adds, he became best known "for those sometimes whimsical, sometimes irritating humorous commentaries" on 60 Minutes.