Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Mon January 16, 2006
Divisions in Fremont County
Riverton, WY – Some residents of Riverton, Shoshoni and other Fremont County communities are talking about forming their own county. The move is in response to the fact the towns feel disenfranchised by the county government. The idea of Wind River County was pitched to the Riverton City Council. The crux of the matter is how just over half of Fremont County's residents live in towns, but the county doesn't evenly share its income with the towns. Funding for the Riverton Regional Airport was apparently the last straw. An airport board member says for too long Riverton has footed too much of the bill for the airport. Not everyone is welcoming the idea of splitting up Fremont County, however. Lander Mayor Mick Wolfe says it's the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard.