Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Thu July 12, 2007
Enzi Supports Bush's Pick For Top Doc
By Todd Zwillich
Laramie, WY – Wyoming Republican Senator Mike Enzi is voicing support for President Bush's pick to be the next Surgeon General.
Dr. James Holsinger is under fire from Democrats for his writings on homosexuality.
In Senate conformation hearings Thursday, Democrats attacked Holsinger for a 1991 paper describing gay sexual practices as pathological.
The paper, written for a Methodist Church council, says that human anatomy quote speaks for itself that homosexual behavior is unhealthy
Enzi is the senior Republican on the committee that held hearings on Holsinger's nomination. He says he asked the nominee in private if he would serve all Americans.
I found his responses to be open, forthcoming, knowledgeable, compassionate, all of the qualifications that you'd expect from a doctor, Enzi said.
Holsinger promised to address the health care of all Americans regardless of their sexuality if he's confirmed. The committee must vote on the nomination before it goes to the Senate floor.