Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Thu November 27, 2003
Firefighter Arrested For Arson
Fort Collins, Co – Police have arrested a 19-year-old volunteer firefighter for setting fire to a church on U-S Highway 287 in northern Colorado this month.
The Larimer County sheriff's office says Austin Gene Mayo was arrested and charged with first-degree arson. Other charges could be pending.
He's being held at the Larimer County Detention Center on a half (m) million dollar bond.
Mayo is a volunteer firefighter for the Livermore Fire Department. He was also on the Larimer County Sheriff's Office Emergency Services Wildland Firefighter roster.
Police believe he ignited the 123-year-old Virginia Dale Presbyterian Church that stood as a landmark in northern Colorado.
Officials say the church's doors were never locked so travelers and visitors could enter and pray.