Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Tue July 6, 2004
Formal Charges Filed
Sheridan, Wy – Sheridan Prosecutor Matt Redle has filed a pair of charges against a man accused of shooting and killing a Sheridan woman over the weekend. Authorities say that 21 year old Stephen Hyatt both kidnapped and shot and killed Kaleigh Ford, last Friday night around 6:30 in the evening. Witnesses say that Ford was abducted by Hyatt at gunpoint and shot and killed as she tried to escape. Witnesses say he fired a second shot in the back of Ford's head as she lay on the ground. Hyatt then left the area and was arrested in Washakie County, near Ten Sleep. Redle charged Hyatt with First Degree Murder and Aggravated Kidnapping, but says it is too early to determine whether he will seek the death penalty.
Redle says they are still sorting out details of the case and he still does not know the relationship that Hyatt and Ford had. An Autopsy showed that she was shot three times.