Most Active Stories
- A cappella vocal ensemble, the King's Singers
- Wyoming’s little talked about pollution source: trona mines
- UPDATE: EPA issues Wind River Reservation state status for air monitoring, rules on res. border
- Wyoming fires Football Coach Dave Christensen
- OSHA says Sinclair refinery shutdown is on the table
Fresh Air Weekend
Sat January 14, 2012
Fresh Air Weekend: Gary Oldman, Rin Tin Tin
Fresh Air Weekend highlights some of the best interviews and reviews from past weeks, and new program elements specially paced for weekends. Our weekend show emphasizes interviews with writers, filmmakers, actors, and musicians, and often includes excerpts from live in-studio concerts. This week:
Gary Oldman: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sirius: The actor is so good at what he does, you might not recognize him from role to role. He's played everyone from Sid Vicious and Dracula, to Sirius Black in the Harry Potter films, and now George Smiley in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
Rin Tin Tin: A Silent Film Star On Four Legs: The orphaned German shepherd was found in the wreckage of a kennel during World War I. Writer Susan Orlean details how he became one of the biggest film stars of the silent era in Rin Tin Tin: The Life and Legend.
'Hope': A Comic Novel About the Holocaust: Shalom Auslander's Hope: A Tragedy takes on genocide, identity politics and Anne Frank (now elderly and squatting in a farmhouse in upstate New York) with grim humor and daring irreverence.
You can hear the original broadcasts here:
- Gary Oldman: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sirius
- Rin Tin Tin: A Silent Film Star On Four Legs
- 'Hope': A Comic Novel About The Holocaust?