Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Wyoming Man Wins U.S. Supreme Court Case Concerning Rails To Trails
Fri November 28, 2008
Game and Fish close to solving Grizzly poaching case near Dubois
By Bob Beck
Lander, Wy – The Wyoming Game and Fish department is getting some strong leads on who might have killed two yearling Grizzly Bears near Dubois in October. Erin Smith with the Wyoming Game and Fish department in Lander says the Bears were popular in that area and people have tried to help. "That was a disturbing case, not only because it put us over our Grizzly Bear mortality total for the year, but because those Bears were residents of the subdivision there."
Smith says they are treating this as a poaching case and says they have several leads. They are hoping those who have contacted them will call back, so they can ask some followup questions. Smith says they are close to making arrests. She says there were a lot of bear run ins with hunters this year and she is urging people to use bear spray and to attempt to use non lethal ways of dealing with bears.