Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Tue October 26, 2004
Gillette Approves Wal-Mart Plan
Gillette, WY – An agreement for a Wal-Mart Supercenter was approved last night the Gillette Planning Commission. Wal-Mart first approached the city in June and Senior Planner Michael Surface says the retail giant has been very cooperative. According to Surface, the city wanted to make sure the most workable site was used. He says Wal-Mart didn't have to build where their existing store is, but he's pleased they agreed to because that means there won't be 89,000 square feet of space to fill. Surface says Wal-Mart agreed to many requests made by the city. That includes landscaping; taking steps to ease traffic issues, and agreeing to a fa ade that will make this store not look like a typical Wal-Mart. Surface says the front of the store will have a western look to it; something Wal-Mart was not required to do, but agreed to nonetheless.