Most Active Stories
Wed December 21, 2005
Gillette Teen Possible Victim Of A Contract Killing
Gillette, Wy – A Gillette teenager shot dead in his home
last month was the victim of an apparent contract killing,
according to court documents charging two men with murder in the
Christopher Robert Hicks and Jacob Paul Martinez, both aged 19,
face charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit
first-degree murder in connection with the November 26 shooting
death of Bryce Chavers, age 16.
A sworn statement from Eric Seeman, an investigator with the
Campbell County Sheriff's Department, was filed in court Wednesday
support of the charges against Hicks and Martinez.
Seeman states he has interviewed Hicks many times during the
course of the investigation into Chavers' death.
Seeman states that Hicks has told him he was contacted by a
known but unnamed individual who wanted to arrange for Chavers'
Seeman states Hicks told him that the unnamed person originally
asked Hicks to kill Chavers. Seeman reported that Hicks said when
he declined, Martinez agreed to it.
County Attorney Jeani Stone refused to say who is suspected of
contracting the alleged hit.
Before his death, Chavers had been scheduled to testify in the
state's prosecution of Kent Proffit, age 42, on December. 12.
Since Chavers' death, Proffit's trial on charges of third-degree
sexual assault of a minor has been postponed and his court file has
remained sealed by the County Attorney's Office.