Most Active Stories
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- New lead in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Past Time, Fly Fishing
- Wyoming Stories: Murray Self Tells Three Centennial Classics
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Fri December 23, 2005
Man Accused Of Arranging Teens Death
Gillette, Wy – A Gillette man whose sexual assault trial
has been delayed due to the murder of a witness is now accused of
arranging the teenager's death.
Forty-two-year-old Kent Alan Proffit, Senior, is charged with
conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.
Proffit allegedly arranged for 19-year-old Christopher Robert
Hicks and 19-year-old Jacob Paul Martinez to kill 16-year-old Bryce
Chavers was scheduled to testify in Proffit's December 12th
trial on eight counts of third-degree sexual assault of a minor.
Chavers was found murdered in his bed the morning of November
Martinez allegedly admitted to investigators that he and Hicks
agreed to kill Chavers.
Investigators say Martinez and Hicks feared retribution from a
marijuana distributor for a botched drug deal, but Proffit
intervened to get the distributor off their backs.
Proffit allegedly threatened to get Martinez and Hicks in
trouble with the distributor again if they didn't agree to kill