Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Thu October 22, 2009
Matt Mead remembers Cliff Hansen
By Bob Beck
Laramie, Wy – The Family of Cliff Hansen says they have been touched by the reaction to his death. The former U-S Senator, Governor and cattle rancher died Tuesday night at the age of 97. Matt Mead says his "Grand Dad" was a special person who could fit in anywhere. He remembers a time they stopped for a lunch at a rough looking bar with a number of bikers outside.
"Grand Dad got out of the pickup with his cowboy hat on and walked right over to them, and this was in his late 80's, and asked what kind of Harley Davidson's they had and did they enjoy riding in Wyoming. And in short order he made friends with everyone there and it came naturally to him because he loved people."
Mead says that Hansen loved being on his ranch and cherished being there in his final years, riding a horse and working the cattle late into his life. Mead says that it was fitting that he died in his ranch house. Services are Saturday in Cheyenne and Tuesday in Jackson.