Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Sat April 19, 2008
Report Says Youth Facility Has Been A Problem For Years
Casper, Wy – A report says a juvenile facility in
Casper has been locking up youth in jail space that was deemed
unsuitable for adults over a decade ago.
The report obtained by The Associated Press also says that youth
at the Regional Juvenile Detention Center are locked up in ways
that increase their risk of committing suicide or physically or
sexually assaulting one another.
The report was done by the National Partnership for Juvenile
Services, and it came out in December -- three months before an
assault and other alleged incidents at the juvenile facility.
The Wyoming Department of Family Services is now looking into
The facility is in the third floor of the Natrona County law
enforcement building. The facility used to be the county's adult
jail and began holding juveniles after a new jail was built in the