Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Thu February 16, 2012
Rescue helicopter crashes
A helicopter on a rescue mission in Teton County crashed yesterday, killing one person on board. The snowmobiler they were trying to help also died.
The Sherriff’s Department says the snowmobiler’s party called and reported an accident just before noon, and Teton Search and Rescue sent a helicopter to help. The chopper landed at the accident scene but left to get additional personnel. It crashed on Togwotee Pass.
Search and Rescue member Ray Shriver was killed. The pilot and second Search and Rescue member were transported to St. John’s Medical Center.
The causes of the snowmobile crash and the helicopter crash are under investigation.