Most Active Stories
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- New lead in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Past Time, Fly Fishing
- Wyoming Stories: Murray Self Tells Three Centennial Classics
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Fri February 1, 2013
Sonnet: “Dispatches from the Western Front”
In anticipation of Valentine’s Day, University of Wyoming student Zack Anderson began advertising his services around campus. The English and French major is offering customized sonnets for a fee. Wyoming Public Media requested that Anderson write a love poem… for us.
Here, nigh the end of our postmodern age,
the news is bred on free-range server farms
and in the brains of citizenry rage
incertitude, distress, ennui, alarm,
complacency. These bitter villains leach
the human spirit from our cynic scene.
Forgotten is the bliss of breathing speech,
the Word is writ in pixels on a screen.
But Radio’s vox populi remains
in modulated frequencies of truth,
and beaming out above the wind-burned plains
transmissions that no ignorance can mute.
Radio, though other media fall,
yours is the voice that may unite us all.