Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
- Hill Announces Intention To Resume Superintendent Duties
Tue September 24, 2013
Ted Cruz Embraces 'Wacko Bird' Label
Originally published on Tue September 24, 2013 2:42 pm
Freshman U.S. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas began an old-fashioned talking filibuster this afternoon, to try to get the rest of the Senate to go along with his plan to defund Obamacare.
He will probably not be at a loss for words.
A new profile by Jason Zengerle in GQ magazine calls Cruz “the most despised man in the U.S. Senate” but also a dazzling orator, who as Texas Solicitor General won four out of eight arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Republican leaders such as John McCain, who has called Cruz a “wacko bird,” intensely dislike Cruz for his take-no-prisoners political style and staunch anti-government views. And Ted Cruz has been office less than a year.
Zengerle joins Here & Now to talk about the senator.
- Jason Zengerle, senior staff writer for Politico and author of the profile of Cruz in GQ. He tweets @zengerle.