Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Tue June 27, 2006
Troopers Cleared in Shooting on I-80
Laramie, Wy – A prosecutor in Sweetwater County has cleared two Wyoming Highway Patrol troopers in the fatal shooting of a New Mexico man this May.
The Sweetwater County attorney issued a press release stating that his office has reviewed a report from the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation regarding the shooting of Gary Loyd, 70, of Albuquerque.
The release states other motorists had reported that Loyd was ramming his Jeep into other cars and shooting at other motorists while driving the wrong way on Interstate 80.
Troopers Adam Davies and Carla Nichols responded to the reports and came upon a crash involving the Jeep.
Davies saw Loyd had a gun and told him to drop it, but Loyd failed to do so. Davies shot and killed him.
The County Attorney stated that he's absolutely certain the use of deadly force was by the book and completely justified.