Most Active Stories
- Researchers Look For Clues To Polio-Like Illness In California Children
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- New lead in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel
- Wyoming Stories: Murray Self Tells Three Centennial Classics
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Past Time, Fly Fishing
Tue February 14, 2012
Whitney Houston's Funeral Will Be Held In Childhood Church
Pop super star Whitney Houston's funeral will be held at the Newark, N.J. church where she sang as a little girl. Citing the owner of Whigham Funeral Home in Newark, the AP reports her funeral will take place at the New Hope Baptist Church on Saturday, Feb. 18.
Houston was found dead over the weekend at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Los Angeles. The cause of death is still unknown, though CNN reported, yesterday, that Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said some prescription bottles were found in her hotel room, but the amount "was less than usually present in deaths attributed to overdoses."
The website TMZ reports that Houston's body arrived at funeral home in a golden hearse. Her mother Cissy Houston waited outside along with many fans.
The AP reports that Houston was born in Newark and she was only a child when she began singing at New Hope, "where her mother, Grammy-winning gospel singer Cissy Houston, led the music program for many years. Her cousin singer Dionne Warwick also sang in its choir."