Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Best of Wyoming
Wed October 31, 2012
Wyoming Frontier Prison - Rawlins
“The eighty year history of Wyoming’s first state penitentiary, now known as the Wyoming Frontier Prison, is as colorful and elaborate as the plot of a classic western movie. The cornerstone of the prison was laid in 1888, but due to funding issues and Wyoming’s notorious weather, the doors wouldn’t open for thirteen years. In December of 1901, the prison opened and consisted of only 104 cells (Cell Block A), no electricity or running water, and very inadequate heating.”
For a bit more history on the Wyoming Frontier Prison, visit this site.
Wyoming Frontier Prison Halloween Tours!
The Wyoming Frontier Prison offered its annual Halloween Tours this year, with a trek around the historic grounds.
October 26, 27, & 31, 2012
Reservations required. Call 307.324.4422.
This tour is not recommended for anyone under the age of 12.
500 West Walnut