Most Active Stories
- Growing sagebrush and other native seed: Crackpot idea or lucrative business venture?
- Wyoming missed out on last uranium boom, but planning for the future
- South Africans strive to limit damage to landscape as elephant populations grow
- Wolf trapping raises concerns about trapping the wrong animals
- Study finds BLM’s wild horse management practices are flawed
On Air Staff and WPM Interns
Fri August 19, 2011
Yabba Dabba 'Doh! Truck Driver Tries To Use His Feet As Brakes
This option would not have occurred to us:
Wednesday evening in Roseville, Mich., a 24-year-old man who apparently knew his pickup truck's brakes weren't working got behind the wheel anyway and tried to drive home.
He attempted, Fred Flintstone-style, to use his feet as brakes.
As you can imagine, things didn't work out very well. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Vehicles were damaged, however. And the police got much of the mayhem on video.
Making it even more amazing: According to the local Macomb Daily, the driver did manage to stop the truck "at least twice, but continued along his journey in the left, northbound lane, reaching speeds of approximately 40 mph."
As Roseville Deputy Police Chief James Berlin tells the newspaper, "this guy's no rocket scientist."
The Daily adds that:
"The man, whose name was not immediately divulged by police pending his arraignment, was arrested for driving while his license was suspended, and reckless driving. He later bonded out of jail after posting $500 interim bond."
We've got two videos to share, one from the newspaper and the second from The Associated Press: